Here is what they looked like before...
Again using 2" x 3" lumber we continued the seat support by essentially building a rectangular frame. The sides of the frame were attached to each half of the footboard (clamps are an essential tool during this step) along with making sure everything is squared up and level. Once we had our base a sheet of plywood was cut to fit the seat but not yet attached.
I swore I took a picture of the bench before I added the pretty but I can't find it on any of my devices. I hope between the photo above and the one below you get an idea of how it was constructed.
I painted the bench with a 50:50 ratio of Old White and Pure White chalk paint and rolled it on with a 6" foam brush for a
I normally hand paint graphics onto my furniture pieces but when I found this fabulous French Typography DecoArt stencil at Michaels it was a no brainer! I used slightly diluted chalk paint in the color Graphite.
I would normally apply the stencil in the center both horizontally and vertically but because this bench would be sitting against the wall in our dining room with the table in front of it I applied the stencil towards the top so it would be visible.
I love how the fabric picks up the dark brown in the table top.
I'm thrilled with how it looks in the room.
I have one more headboard and footboard waiting to be transformed but that one will definitely be going outdoors in our back yard.
Or how we transformed Thrift Store Duncan Phyfe Chairs.
I hope our Thrift Store Headboard Dining Bench has inspired you to rethink those headboards you see piled up in the corner of your neighborhood thrift store.