The moment I set eyes on this piece I didn't see a headboard...what I saw was a faux fireplace! Here is what it looked like when we brought it home.
Remember these? My sister and I had one similar growing up but without the cool stained glass. She used to hide wads of chewing gum in the cubby on her side and mine was full of V.C. Andrews books. Remember Flowers In The Attic?
I digress...ahem...back to the fireplace. The first thing we did was mark the center opening on the front support and carefully cut it using a skill saw (I would recommend using a jig saw). Then we framed in the box using "good 1-side" plywood and added a bottom plate the same width and depth as the existing top.
Next we added MDF trim to the front of the fireplace echoing the trim on the stained glass sliders.
Initially we added a hardboard back to the fireplace box only and kept the original upper back. We changed our minds because I wanted a finished look so we removed both and added one large piece of 1/8" hardboard to cover the entire back.
The fireplace was primed with Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 Primer (the only primer I use in the workshop).
And that's how we turned a MCM Headboard into a Pretty Faux Fireplace!
Here's a close-up of the trim we added to the front.
...and one of the pretty stained glass sliders.
I wish I had a room to fit this fireplace in our house but I don't so it's for sale in my Etsy Shop. If you're interested press the FOR SALE tab up top for more information.
I SHARE MY PROJECTS AT THESE LINK PARTIES.
THANK YOU TO THE FOLLOWING FOR FEATURING THIS PROJECT: