Here is what they looked like before. The second chair from the left was missing the stretchers on the bottom so we used some from another chair as our template and rebuilt new ones. Some of the dowel joints had to be replaced and all the dowel joints were re-glued and clamped. The chair on the far right used to be an arm chair by the looks of it. We tightened the corner braces on all four chairs and replaced any stripped screws. Using a mouse sander I stripped the chairs down to the natural wood and then repaired numerous nicks and scratches.
The chairs were painted with three coats of Old White chalk paint and lightly distressed.
The splats were painted in French Linen chalk paint and dark waxed but of course I couldn't stop there. I wanted to continue the French theme and so I stenciled a Fleur-de-lis on the back of each splat and lightly distressed them.
Wanting to upholster the seats with the same fabric I used to line Old Violet's drawers I went back to Fabricland (two different stores) in search of more of the fabric. A gal on a mission I spent hours searching through what felt like hundreds of heavy bolts of fabric to find it. I swear at one point I was ready to strip in the middle of the aisle because I was drenched in menopausal sweat! After all that work there wasn't a metre to be had at either store.
It was a lot of work but I'm thrilled that I was able to give Old Violet and her siblings a new lease on life!
Here's a sneak peak at what's next on the workbench queue...
THIS PROJECT WAS FEATURED AT: