Mid Century Sewing Table {Isn't she sexy?} | The Interior Frugalista: Mid Century Sewing Table {Isn't she sexy?}
Mid Century Sewing Table {Isn't she sexy?} | The Interior Frugalista

April 16, 2013

Mid Century Sewing Table {Isn't she sexy?}

I've had a few inquiries since posting this project if the sewing table is a mid century modern Broyhill Brasilia.

It is not, which lead me to paint and leaf this table without guilt! It is actually an inexpensive piece that I picked up for a song at a local sewing machine store and is constructed with particleboard and laminate.

Sewing Table Makeover
She was definitely high maintenance but the efforts to get her to her sexiness were well worth it!

This is how she looked when I started.

You can imagine my gasp when I placed her on the workshop table and noticed she was missing a limb! After unsuccessfully retracing our steps in hopes of finding it I was ready to throw in the towel.
Making a mold for missing trim

Feeling defeated I decided to toss this project aside. The following morning while enjoying my morning coffee and browsing through Pinterest, I discovered a post by a fellow Blogger. She couldn't have picked a better time to post her most helpful tips! Coffee in hand, I immediately started the task of building a new limb.
No, it's not a present from the cat!
Using Sculpey Baking Clay I was able to make a cast of the undamaged trim on the door. Once I got a good impression, I stuffed the cavity with tin foil so it wouldn't flatten during the baking process.

I baked the cast for 30 minutes. After it cooled and hardened I sprinkled the cavity with baby powder (to avoid sticking) and filled it with more baking clay to create a mold. After repeating the baking and cooling process, Ta Da! What looked like a kittie surprise is now the missing limb.
Glued with E-6000 and clamped, I let it cure overnight.
Next I filled the voids with Dynamic Dyna Patch and let it dry nice and hard. Using a mouse sander with a fine grit sandpaper I removed the excess clay. Good as new!
In the meantime, I applied two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint™ in Graphite. What I love about this chalk paint is not only the fast drying time...or that it has no VOC's...or the array of beautiful colours...but it requires no prep...no priming...and bonds to almost any surface.  What's not to love about that!
Sorry, took this pic with my phone and a shaky hand

I applied the Graphite chalk paint to the raised panels on the doors as well. See, you'd never know there was a missing limb!

Normally I would protect the chalk paint with clear soft wax but being a sewing table I was concerned about wear and tear as well as the wax staining fabric.  As a precautionary measure I opted for three coats of Polyurethane.
Silver Leaf
Left side is Burnished - Right side without burnishing
This was my first attempt at silver leafing! It wasn't near as bad as I had anticipated. The trick was picking up the leaf by overlaying a piece of wax paper onto the leaf while still in the book. It stayed on the wax paper as I flipped it upside down onto the tacky sized surface and gently rubbed with a round tip brush.

With very fine "00" steel wool in a circular motion, I lightly burnished the silver leaf to give it some character and an aged appearance. I followed this process with an application of leafing sealer.

THIS PROJECT WAS SHARED AT:
Show Comments: OR